Saturday, November 19, 2011

Good People + Good Music= Awesome Night and Awesome show.

I always hate being the barer of bad news. To be that one who inevitably breaks your heart by revealing an unwanted truth that destroys your world perception. TandT fans... there is no Santa, there is no Easter Bunny and your favorite bands haven't always sold out arenas..

Every band has started out by paying their dues, as it were, by playing any venue that will have them. All to often they played for audiences that consisted of their family and friends as well as the other bands and their family and friends. I don't know about all of you, but there has been countless times that I have stood in complete awe of a band or performer on stage and wondered what would have it been like to have seen them in their early days, to watch the change in their sound back then to now, watch them rise from little to unknown opening acts to having their names written high up on marques and selling out the largest venues across the country. Oh what a feeling that would be to know that, in however small of a way, you were inherently a part of their eventual success simply by taking a chance on them before anyone else did.

This is exactly why we should support local music and venues. To witness art being created right before our eyes, to be present at the ground floor or the creation of something uniquely different and original. Something that 30 years from now we can look back fondly and see "I was there."

All that being said. I was in audience tonight for a local show here in Tucson, Arizona for some amazing up-and-coming bands. Their venue was off the beaten path at the Fraternal Order of Police Hall. A small but nice venue with full bar that was conveniently separated from the main performance hall so that you could step away from the music for a moment if needed. The show started off slow, in fact, myself and my guest were the only people in attendance that were not a member of another band for quite a while. That changed very soon after.

The first band to perform was The Gentlemen Scumbags who announced that were changing their name to No Radio effective as of November 19, 2011.


The Gentlemen Scumbags (No Radio)


I have to say, they won me over quick. They were one of those bands that you knew immediately loved music and playing it. Their sound is not one I can easily describe so I will let you judge for yourself. I was reminded of a early Blink 182, however. I mean that in the most complimentary way as possible. Their energy, their technique and their sense of humor was all top notch. You can listen to them free at their Facebook page through the link above. Out of the allotted  free tracks, I like Narcissists and Socialites as well as Virgo, however, they had a song that they performed live that knocked my socks off. Paying homage to one of the greatest american trio's off all time by performing Destiny's Child's Say My Name. If given the opportunity to see this Tucson trio perform, I suggest you jump on it. Remember, The Gentlemen Scumbags will be known hence forth as No Radio, so keep an ear open.

The Next band was Four Against One


Four Against One

I will be honest... During their first few songs I wasn't to thrilled. They had great energy, but I felt I was watching a group of guys playing separately from one another and not as a group. However! as their set progressed they started to win me over and pushed me over the "fan edge" in their favor when they coverd one of my favorite songs of all time, Say it Ain't So by Weezer. Joining them onstage were several concert goers and The Gentlemen Scumbags who joined in on the performance. I started off as not the biggest fan but was quickly converted. Their energy and fan interaction alone is worth seeing them live so make sure you check their facebook through the above link to keep tabs on their shows. 

The last band I saw was TandT favorite, The Zoo Incident.


The Zoo Incident

We spotlighted this Band in episode 7: Exterminate the Babies at tandtpodcast.com or on iTunes by searching TandT Podcast! By the time of their performance people had started to file into the venue. I found out  shortly after their performance that this was their first live show and, my friends, they did not disappoint! I brought a friend along to enjoy the music with me and so that I would not be alone... Seconds into the first song she leaned in to tell me ".. wow. they sound really good!" and this was dispite the fact there was a loud feedback echoing through their equipment is they played. the feedback was only noticeable in between songs. In addtion to lead singer, Andrea Alaniz's uncanny voice that you would never believe came out of this tiny girls body, you have the smooth and captivating rifts from Guitarists, Alex Hamby. On bass was Chris Bikerdike who stood out in a night filled with very talented bassists. Lastly was Logan Mitchell on drums who sat the tone with intricate drumming that kept my feet moving the whole set. All in all, The Zoo Incident lived up to the very high expectations I had set for them. You can hear them for yourself at bandcamp.com as well as buy their album for what you see fit... but don't be cheap... 

There was a final band who performed; however, I had to unfortunately leave before they took the stage. But! where I dropped the ball you can pick it up. The band was the Debased Eights, so if you hear of a show that includes them, check them out and let us know what you think or listen to them free at their facebook page through the provided link. 

Thank you to all the bands that performed for giving your audience an awesome experience and a show well worth the price! I, for one, can not wait to see any of them again perform live.

Tommy with The Zoo Incident after their show
November 18, 2011 at the FOP Hall Tucson, Arizona


-Tommy of TandT Podcast!
tandtpodcast.com
twitter: tandtpodcast
facebook and iTunes search TandT Podcast!

No comments:

Post a Comment